Sunday, November 20, 2011

Christopher McDougall And Bare Feet Running

I just recently came across and article on the new york times articles website that talks about bare feet running and the secret to it. This is not something new but isn't really worked on by as many athletes that run on a consistent basis as there probably should be. I don't think it is because they just don't want to, I think it's because most people just don't really know how bad modern day running shoes are on our feet.

Bare Feet Running Shoes

As you've probably already read up on if you've come to my blog is that bare feet running shoes are one of those things that are becoming more and more relevant as running footwear from vibram five fingers to one of my favorite brand of running shoes vivobarefoot. They suprisingly do not offer much arch support and here is the reasoning. For a foot to become stronger, you must have stronger archers and in not having that support, allows your feet to strengthen in this area. By having stronger arches, you will inevitably have stronger leg structure. When someone choose to put a lot of cushion in the middle of their arches it atrophies the muscle and therefore weakens the foot which can cause more leg and foot injuries.

Bare Feet Running Technique

Finally, I want to share with you guys a resource which I found useful in starting your bare feet running technique with Christopher McDougall, the writer of Born to Run. I've went ahead and posted the video below for your viewing pleasure, enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. As someone who took her shoes off in 1981, right at the height of the go for the burn phase in aerobic fitness, people thought I was crazy. Now, danincg in bare feet for over thirty-four years, I and thousands of people all over the world sing praises of the 7,000 nerve endings showing us the way.
    Debbie Rosas
    Founder, Nia Technique
    www.nianow.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who took her shoes off in 1981, right at the height of the go for the burn phase in aerobic fitness, people thought I was crazy. Now, danincg in bare feet for over thirty-four years, I and thousands of people all over the world sing praises of the 7,000 nerve endings showing us the way.
    Debbie Rosas
    Founder, Nia Technique
    www.nianow.com

    ReplyDelete